Monday, November 25, 2013

Bible Bee Nationals 2013 - Sevierville, TN

We just got back from Sevierville, TN last night after a GREAT week at Bible Bee Nationals.  This was our third year to attend, and we all had a fabulous time.  

Tuesday:
Eugene gets a ride to the room wrapped in Blankie
(both are very important members of our family)
Dinner with dear friends from AK to celebrate our dad's birthday
Jessica and Bethany

Some of us had some fun with the camera...





 Upon arrival back to the hotel, we welcomed in some friends from our church and some friends we met last year at Nationals - it's so fun how groups like this just happen everywhere - even in a cold, dark parking lot!

Wednesday:
      - Hike to waterfall with friends from Louisiana**    
                  (**= photos will come when I get our iphone pictures)
      - Check Jessica on all her verses
      - Family Registration 
      - Joanna & Janelle - work in info booth during registration
      - Choir rehearsal**
      - Host dinner for Joanna & Janelle and then runner training
      - Everyone else went to dinner with friends from MD and AZ**

Thursday:
     - Preliminary Testing for Jessica
     - Joanna and I loved volunteering as runners - seeing all the kids and getting to know the other volunteers.  
     - Choir Rehearsal
     - Opening Ceremony in which they recognized all contestants and then announced the 15 semifinalists in each age division.  12 (7 SR, 2 JR, 3 PR) contestants from our local Bee came to Nationals along with their families - almost 50 people in all!!  One of our Primaries and 2 of our Seniors (Daniel F. and Ryan S.) made it to Semifinals!!!!!
 
Seniors
The Wissmans

Semifinalists

All but 4 of the National Qualifiers from our Bee
(3 missing were semifinalists, so couldn't be there for this picture)



with the families
made some new friends :) :)
This group all did a Bible Study on 1 John last Winter
written by Nathan (back center) 
Friday:
   - Semifinals -- Ryan made it from semifinals into Finals!!!!!  Yay!!!!

     - Family Fair and Annual Square Dance** 


Saturday:
breakfasts: yogurt, oatmeal, hardboiled eggs
- Ray Comfort lunch & showing of Evolution Vs. God 


- Finals - Ryan won FIRST PLACE!!!!!  WOOOHOOOO!!!  I can't describe our extreme excitement.
getting lots of congratulations
- Celebration Ceremony (in which we all sang in the choir)
the Senior Finalists
All finalists
Dr. Mike Farris gave a sobering and inspiring message


Daniel and Ryan - semifinalist and finalist from our Bee

great times visiting into the wee hours of the night

group photo


Yay Ryan!!

Sunday:
 - Church service with some remaining Bible Bee families.  A pastor preached whose church had been praying for all the Bible Bee families - so special!
 - Some last minute fellowship
 - Caravanning home with friends from our local Bee.  They live very close to us, but we almost only see them at Locals and Nationals :)

silly... again

While we had a great time with friends at Nationals, we are also so blessed by our friends at home, several of whom were watching the Bible Bee via live webcast.  When we drove in Sunday night around 9:30, there were some friends from church who had decorated our front porch and brought us sparkling cider and cookies!  Here's a view of it in the morning:  



Thank you to all our dear friends far and near for your love, friendship, and fellowship!  We love you all!

**stay tuned for more pictures.  Bible Bee friends, if you'd like any of these pictures, let me know by comment or email.  If you have any of us, we'd love to see them too!  ;)

Until next year in balmy Orlando!!! 
~Janelle

5 comments:

Jordan Strang said...

I'd love to see more pictures!!!

It was great to finally get to meet mot of you in person... although I don't actually have both twins figured out!!!

At that square dance, I only ended up doing two dances which is really weird for me because I always do as many dances as I can... but you know, just got involved in a big conversation!

Ryan definitely deserved first place if anyone did! I was so excited for him!!!

I knew someone was going to post that picture of me on the floor in front of everyone...! I still don't know whose idea that was!

Daniel F said...

*cough*cough* I don’t know whose crazy idea that was either...*cough*cough*

Grace Mieczkowski said...

I kept meaning to stop and talk to your family, but never got the chance! Thanks for posting all of these pictures - they hold many wonderful memories, that's for sure!

The Grove Family said...

Grace: Next year? We'd love to talk to y'all too! I did get to talk to Anna a little though. (:
Nationals was so much fun! Thanks for adding to the fellowship just by your joy and smiles!
~Jessica

Grace Mieczkowski said...

Yes, we should definitely make a point to meet next year, Lord Willing!