Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Grain Mill

At the HEAV convention we purchased a grain mill so that we can make bread with fresh milled flour (much healthier see post about HEAV). The bread is SO much more flavorful! What really impressed me was that it's the wheat that's flavorful, not just the flavorings. So far we have baked sandwich bread, dinner rolls, hot dog and hamburger buns, bagels, English muffins, crunchy seed bread, and lots and lots of muffins.
the Wondermill
The wheat goes in the top as grain and shoots into the side bucket as flour. 1 cup of grain makes (if I'm remembering correctly) about 1 1/2 cups of flour. It's really easy to use and not as loud as I had expected after all I'd heard. The Wondermill is quieter than our blender!
hard red wheat
Hard red wheat is very flavorful and good for making bread.
Soft white wheat
Soft white wheat has a milder flavor and is better for things like cakes or breads with other flavors that need to come out over the flour flavor.
hot dog and hamburger buns
muffins
Julia loves to help bake and loves her matching blue apron

The health benefits of fresh ground wheat go on and on, too many to list... but I guess the most important thing to know is that it's HEALTHY. :)

~Janelle

No comments: