Saturday, April 5, 2014

Once Upon a Guild Induction...

     As you may have read, I (Jessica) greatly enjoy participating in the Institute for Cultural Communicators (ICC). For the past two years, I have been working through the Young Speaker's Guild program. This is the main backbone of curriculum in ICC.
     This April, I finally completed YSG along with two other friends from my chapter, Speak FIRST. It was a challenge to work through YSG and I learned so much! It was great working together with Dan and Daniel.
    YSG consists of 3 phases:
Phase 1: Introduction speech, My Favorite Bible Verse speech, Humorous or Dramatic Interpretation, Limited Preparation speaking
Phase 2: Informative speech, Persuasive speech, Humorous Interpretation, audience analysis
Phase 3: Personal Testimony, Current Events speech, Pick your own (I chose a Thematic Religious Reading, and THE GUILD SPEECH!
This is just a brief outline of the speeches and skills I had to learn during YSG. I got to speak on many community platforms, including: nursing homes, Montessori schools, a Christian high school, homeschool groups, my soccer team, conferences, preschools, coop classes, youth groups, and more!
I learned so many skills: organization, teamwork, public speaking, listening, using visuals, receiving feedback...... I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to work through YSG. It has grown me in many ways and I believe it is a tool God provided me to grow gifts He has equipped me with. I hope to continue to use communication and leadership to serve those around me as I have opportunity.
     April 5th was the celebration of completion of the Young Speaker's Guild, but also the opening of new opportunities. Becoming a Guild Member does not mean I'm done learning.  I've enjoyed being able to serve on the Area Student Leader Council, as well as having new opportunities to speak and teach.
   Without further ado, here is our guild speech video:

And if you chose to just skip to the pictures....
A 50 minute speech....

"...our guild speech!"
With our fabulous chapter sponsor, Mrs. Hoisington
Because we're crazy
It was so special to have so many relatives come! Thank you for being there to celebrate with me!

and then there was a pinning ceremony, and a reception! I do not have pictures of those. :( But they were lovely.

Whew! Crazy and wonderful all jumbled up! So thankful I could do YSG, so thankful I could work together with Daniel and Dan, so thankful to be done! (still, there is a bit of me that misses you, YSG!)
And that my friends is the story of a Guild Induction once upon a time.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Excellent, Jessica! I watched the video. You are quite a talented young lady.